Sunday, November 8, 2009

Don't skip Thanksgiving!!!


I love, Love LOVE Christmas time...really I do, it's my favorite time of the year. I love everything about it. The fact that Christ is the center of the holiday,the music, lights, gift giving, baking, family time, traditions, the list could go on and on! I have one little problem though...

What about Thanksgiving? We seem to get fixated on the commercial side of holidays and since Thanksgiving isn't hyped up as much as Easter, Halloween, Christmas, and others, we seem to forget that it's so important to be thankful for ALL the blessings we have.

I have to admit that when it comes to holidays it's all about family traditions, and for Thanksgiving there aren't really too many that come to mind beyond what's on the dinner table that day. That being said, this year I wanted to focus on our everyday blessings and start a new tradition in our family. I went here (you should too)and downloaded the little tags, made our own little autumn-ish container, and each evening we pick something out and do what the tag says. It's not much, but it helps us to serve others as a family, be grateful everyday, and learn/teach new things.

I know you just can't wait to pull out those Christmas decorations, start playing that music, and baking those goodies...but try to remember and FOCUS on Thanksgiving first. It's REALLY important. I think it's great that we even have a holiday where at least once a year, people that usually don't stop to think of the good things in their lives, do! It just kinda makes me sad when it's almost viewed as a "ugh, gotta wait til Thanksgiving is over...til Christmas!" kinda thing. Ya know??? Christmas is an uplifting,exciting and magical time of the year, but I think if we can remember/find new things to be grateful for, it will make our Christmas that much better :)


6 comments:

THE HATHCOCK'S said...

Good point! My house is very decorated for Thanksgiving and I am so excited to have my kids all her for the day, and I think about and talk about all we have to be grateful for.....but there just isn't any thanksgiving music....so I do from time to time put on some Christmas music....it just gets me in a good mood and ready for all of the holidays, including Thanksgiving!

Laynie said...

That is a great idea! I went to the web page and I am going to it!! Thanks for the great post!

Jennette said...

I totally agree! Steve would love to put up the Christmas decorations, and as much as I LOVE them, I want our family to focus on Thanksgiving. Thanks for the idea, we'll have to check it out! :)

Unknown said...

such a cute idea! And I LOVE sugardoodle...when I was in the primary I went on there all the time!!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Great point!

Troy & Allison said...

THANKS for putting the website out there. And you are absolutely right...I know I tend to focus on Christmas and birthdays and only think of Thanksgiving on the third Thursday of the month. Thanks for the reminder of being grateful!